Recruiter: Innova Search
Location: West Yorkshire
Application date: 17th Aug 2018
Are you looking for a new challenge? Would you like to be a part of a company that is experiencing extensive international growth? David Brown Santasalo are a global engineering business supplying bespoke engineered products and engineered solutions to some of the largest manufacturing companies and defence contractors worldwide.
David Brown Santasalo are recruiting a wide range of engineering roles across the UK and Europe and as such are looking for engineers that have experience with rotating equipment, power transmission, drive units or industrial gearboxes.
With a UK based Head Office, David Brown Santasalo has been trading for over 120 years and has over 1000 staff members worldwide working across 25 global sites. There are seven manufacturing facilities, one situated on every continent. The company focuses on industrial gearboxes, power transmission, rotating equipment and drive units supplying every major sector. The company is going through sustained growth and offers an excellent career opportunity to help drive this organic growth across the world.
You will lead and manage a team focusing on the engineering, analysis and development of complex mechanical power transmission equipment, being responsible for provision of the engineering input necessary for the timely delivery of the technical support and data packs required to meet project goals and priorities.
This role will be responsible for ensuring that the correct resource is available and applied at each phase of the project. Reporting to the Chief Engineer and Technical Director as necessary, responsibilities will include the day to day co-ordination and management of engineering activities, including scheduling and execution of all formal engineering design reviews, other milestone events and the necessary supporting documentation. The engineering manager will ensure that correct processes are followed as defined in the project Engineering Management Plan.
Other duties will include specification development, report generation, document approval, drawing approval, configuration control, provision of technical assistance to other business functions such as Supply Chain and Quality Management. The engineering team will consist of a co-located group of DBS and client engineers, jointly working to deliver the program scope. Supporting resources will be deployed from DBS UK facilities.
You will be responsible for:
• Workload planning, forecasting and control for team activities.
• Preparing benchmark studies, engineering reports and project data deliverables
• Defining test and validation requirements for gearbox equipment.
• lnterpretation, comprehension, development and management of customer requirements.
• Create cost effective and innovative design proposals, solutions and layouts to meet client specifications.
• Carrying out a large-scale engineering project within a program management process.
• Engineering management of the gearbox requirements definition, applications engineering, analysis, development and design staff and processes as applicable to the phases of the project.
• At least 8 years in a relevant engineering role, ideally with some supervisory experience.
• Defence sector experience in armoured vehicle domain; products, requirements and service applications.
• Understanding of product requirements capture, design and validation methods.
• Strong understanding of gearbox technology; operating behaviour, associated components and systems, tradeoffs, materials, architectures and state of the art design.
• Strong core design skills, competence in materials selection, gear rating, shaft and bearing analysis, other drive system elements including structural components, lubrication systems and relevant instrumentation.
• 3D CAD literate, Catia and Solid Edge preferred. CAE tools aware. Able to check, critique and authorise drawings and other technical documents such as FEA analyses.
Preferred, (but not essential) Requirements:
• Expert knowledge of gear design, manufacturing and assembly techniques.
• Expert knowledge of materials and processing techniques.
• Expert in design engineering requirements planning and management.
• Significant experience of analytical and hardware validation techniques.
• 10 years or more in an engineering design management role in the defence sector at major subsystem or platform level (transmission, powerpack, engine, vehicles for example).
Your new role at David Brown Santasalo will offer a range of opportunities for European travel along with a competitive salary and benefits package. If you fit the criteria and are interested in applying for this position then please follow the link below.