Operations Manager (Director Designate)
Recruiter: Jonathan Lee Recruitment
Salary: £80,000 - £100,000
Application date: 7th Sep 2018
An experienced and senior automotive Operations Manager is required for an SME automotive business involved in the manufacture of hand built automotive vehicles. Due to increased demand for their latest vehicle concept they are looking to develop new manufacturing systems that will deliver improved quality, cost and delivery targets. The senior management team are keen to develop a lean manufacturing strategy that can be applied to a low to medium volume, hand built, vehicle assembly environment. To achieve this, they are looking to recruit a proactive, hands on Operations Manager to facilitate this programme of change. This is an exciting opportunity to join a small business with an exciting product concept and play a leading role in the development of a manufacturing strategy that will deliver exceptional vehicle build quality based on right first time, no fault forward and standard operating principles. The position will require an in-depth understanding of whole vehicle build assembly processes that include BIW, trim & final assembly and paint. As Operations Manager, you will have responsibility for Planning/Scheduling, Purchasing, Quality & Manufacturing departments and must have a track record of achievement that demonstrates an ability to work with people, challenge tradition and create a sustainable continuous improvement culture that can deliver the highest levels of vehicle build quality.
To be considered for this Operations Manager position you must have or be:
• Experience as a Manufacturing or Assembly Operations Manager and worked within an automotive OEM or bespoke whole vehicle assembly environment.
• A thorough understanding of advanced manufacturing assembly systems, that includes tolerance and dimensional stability, build standards and change control.
• An ability to problem solve using tools such as 5 why, root cause analysis, 8D, A3 thinking.
• Experience of working within a high quality assembly environment with experience of new vehicle/model introduction through to full volume production.
• A strong manufacturing assembly background ideally qualified to HND level or above in an automotive, manufacturing or mechanical engineering discipline.
• A real passion for continuous improvement, leading by example, setting exacting standards and not accepting second best.
• A full understanding of automotive quality standards and in particular APQP and managing suppliers.
• An ability to coach, train and educate employees in modern manufacturing techniques at all levels across the business.
• Dynamic, data driven, numerate and prepared to do what it takes to get the job done.
• Excellent communication skills, verbal, written and presentation, able to create understanding and influence the people you work with at all levels
This will be a challenging and high-profile position that will have full operational responsibility and report directly into the Managing Director. The senior management team and employees are fully committed to achieving a world class vehicle manufacturing assembly operation. Based on success in the role there will be an opportunity for progression and promotion to Operations Director.