Director of Engineering
Recruiter: Jonathan Lee Recruitment
Salary: Strong salary, bonus + car allowance
Application date: 10th May 2023
In support of a specialist machining operation near Wolverhampton, our client is seeking an Engineering Director to support their ongoing manufacturing activity working alongside group activities within the aerospace and industrial sectors.
Having a strong engineering awareness particularly around modern machining and CI practices, report to the Group Operations Director and managing a team of circa 10 people within the engineering, quality and production planning teams, the role is focused on the continued development and delivery of their engineering road map strategy, accurate estimating and NPI, improving machine utilisation and tooling development as well as continuing their journey in continuous improvement and best practice. This is a hands-on role supporting this established and transformed manufacturing environment.
Working to high tolerances and with specialist materials, the organisation has a wealth of experience and therefore the key responsibilities are:
• To develop and implement the engineering systems strategy, the Director of Engineering will be the focal point for the business on Estimating & NPI. You will lead the Engineering function to include both the Manufacturing and Production Engineers to support the business needs.
• To drive the Design for Manufacture activity as a customer value proposition externally and factory efficiency internally.
• Encouraging the use of commercial judgement is as important as Engineering Excellence in all decision making.
• The technical management of the Estimating function ensuring that bid reviews are consistently used to balance ‘risk, method and pricing’ enabling the business to steer a course that allows it to remain both profitable and competitive through the use of best manufacturing methodologies.
• The implementation and promotion of a continuous improvement culture throughout the business.
• Working closely with the technology team to develop automated processes wherever practically possible to streamline business practices
Candidates should have/be:
• Experience in Senior Eng or Applications roles from within a CNC environment is essential for this role.
(Must have) experience of Hypermill / Edgecam and 5 axis machining strategies
• A commercial awareness, understanding how to estimate the cost of operational delivery.
• An in-depth understanding of Design for Manufacture in a precision engineering environment.
• Experience of implementing and promoting a continuous improvement culture.
• Able to demonstrate what good leadership looks like.
• Financially astute, can budget, forecast and manage against financial measures.
• Excellent communication skills and able to engage with internal and external stake holders