Director of Operations
Recruiter: Hays Recruitment
Application date: 13th Feb 2020
G . F Smith was established in 1885 by George Frederick Smith who built the business out of his passion for fine paper. The success we see today is a direct result of his appetite to supply the finest paper to the worldwide creative market.
Fast forward over 130 years, and G F Smith continue as market leaders of beautifully designed and lovingly manufactured products. The owner managed operation consists of 3 sites across Hull and London with c210 staff and a heritage they are exceptionally proud of.
At the heart of their success is people. They’ve invested heavily in first-class staff facilities. Staff retention is high, with many employees achieving and exceeding major milestones such as 10, 20 and 30+ years’ service. It is clear to see they hold employee engagement and wellbeing at the forefront of their focus.
They live and breathe their vision “to remain an independent, sustainable and socially responsible business for all its stakeholders” and this is strengthened by their values:
• Integrity – We stand strong and true
• Imagination – We never stop thinking
• Zeal – We love what we do
• Distinction – We are the best
The business is led strategically via 2 joint Managing Directors, with UK wide sales being achieved by home based customer-facing specialist Paper Consultants. The Brand is strong in the creative market and External Sales and Branding teams are supported by Inside Sales & Customer Service, Export, Administration, Finance, IT, and HR.
The Operations Department of the business accounts for over 50% of the headcount and is tasked with following through with first class customer service, including the prompt and professional manufacture and delivery of quality products.
Reporting to the Joint Managing Director in Hull and forming an integral part of the leadership team, the Director of Operations will have 3 established and highly skilled direct reports (Warehouse Manager, Production Manager and Health & Safely and Process Manager) with indirect responsibility of c115 staff.
They will lead and drive the long-term strategic development of the Operations function and they will assist the business in achieving company objectives relating to: Safety, Customer Service Targets, and Operational & Budgetary Targets.
This is a crucial position for the business and the Director of Operations will develop and communicate the high-level Operations strategy to the senior leadership team, ensuring collaboration and buy-in from across the business.
The Director of Operations will be accountable for the top-level continuous improvement plans for the operations function, focusing on the sustainable improvement of productivity, inventory reduction, health and safety, delivery performance and cost avoidance/reduction.
What you’ll need to succeed
• A strong manufacturing background is essential.
• Extensive experience transacting as Operations Director, Senior Manufacturing Manager and/ or strategic level Operations Manager.
• A successful track record of delivering strategic operational improvements..
• The successful applicant will be tenacious, with a positive influence, and the ability to make things happen.
• As a natural leader, the Director of Operations will be ‘hands-on’ and visible with the ability to inspire others and coach people to success.
• They will be capable of forming strong working relationships across all levels of the company, which may include constructively challenging the ‘norm’ and/ or confidently presenting and communicating the vision, from an operations perspective to internal and external stakeholders.
• Critical to the success of the Director of Operations will be their ability to align the values, vision and culture of the business, whilst continuing to improve staff engagement and contributing to a positive and respectful working environment.
• Experience in a similar operation such as SME’s, multi-site and privately owned, will be a distinct advantage, as would being qualified to degree level in Manufacturing or related discipline.
What you’ll get in return
G . F Smith is a company truly dedicated to their people. They offer exceptional working environments, regular social events and they value individual performance.
The Director of Operations will have the autonomy to make decisions at a strategic level; leading an established and stable team, with the buy-in of Senior Directors.
In addition to competitive basic salaries they also offer a generous benefits package including company car, pension scheme, company sick pay scheme, a bonus scheme, generous holiday entitlement and healthcare including Employee Assistance Programme.