Head of Manufacturing
Recruiter: Jonathan Lee Recruitment
Salary: (Interim) Competitive daily rate
Application date: 2nd Dec 2022
Supporting an SME with their composite, polymers, machining and fabrication services to the aerospace, defence and rail sectors, we are seeking a departmental INTERIM Head of Operations for a contract period of circa 6-months. The main focus initially is delivering a site integration, working to receive and embed incoming departments transferring from Manchester to Gloucester.
As an established business with a considerable history within their impregnation, machining and finishing services, this URGENT Head of Operations position will be responsible for a £10M per annum manufacturing department with c. 60 people manufacturing composites for Marine and Industrial applications. Processes include pressing and machining. Direct reports include 2 x production managers, 3 x engineers, night shift manager and various dotted lines to maintenance, planning etc.
Manufacturing Management Role Description
Site consolidations responsibilities:
Ensuring the successful Integration of a 10M composite manufacturing business which includes Press shop and Machine Shop (CNC & manual customised precision machining) department into Gloucester, when transferred from another group site located in Manchester.
– Working with HR and your managers, interview, select, hire and onboard a manufacturing team, who have the right skills to support the site consolidation transfer.
– Work with your opposite number in the Manchester site to successfully implement a knowledge capture/ skills transfer programme, in line with the project timeline.
– Post transfer, bring the manufacturing processes back online in Gloucester, ensuring safety, quality, and productivity requirements/standards are met, as well as rapidly and effectively resolving (in coordination with the project team) any start-up issues to ensure continued on time customer supply.
– Positively reinforcing group values which includes a safety-first culture.
– Motivating, coaching, and embedding a new manufacturing team.
– Travel to the Manchester site as required.
As a manufacturing manager you will be responsible for the following:
– Implementing the manufacturing strategy for the business, focusing on safety, capacity, efficiency and quality.
– Directing and driving lean manufacturing and 5S principles throughout the wear manufacturing departments.
– Experienced in managing the challenges associated to on time composite material/products manufacturing within filament winding, press shop and machine shop (batch precision engineering) environments.
– Acting as the champion of continuous improvement within the manufacturing area, setting ambitious targets.
– Supporting the engineering function with their proposals for new production techniques, automated manufacturing systems with supporting analysis and costings to drive efficiencies
– Transforming the company operations to a modern and lean organisation and share information and experience about best practice whilst achieving safe, reliable and efficient operations
– Reinforcing best working practices that promote company culture & vision.
– Proactively leading and supporting employees to encourage maximum performance.
– Evaluating business performance by analysing and interpreting data & metrics; present recommendations as necessary.
– Write and Submit reports in all matters of importance.
– Participate and lead high level change management projects
Education And Training
– Must have previous experience in a similar Senior Manufacturing role
– Degree, or equivalent, level in manufacturing, engineering or sciences discipline
– Proven track record within a fast pace, demanding manufacturing environment
– Able to work as a member of a team, but also capable of working alone to tight deadlines in a high change environment
– Excellent organisational and time management skills, and able to maintain high standards
– Building strong internal and external customer relationships
– Able to lead major change initiatives and projects with a view to continual improvement
– Able to build, motivate and develop a winning team
– High standard of written English and good communication skills, and strong presentation and report-writing skills
– Experienced and proficient in using the Microsoft suite and ERP systems.