Head of Mechanical Engineering
Recruiter: Consilium Recruit
Salary: Up to £ 60,000 + Benefits
Application date: 29th Nov 2018
An international test equipment manufacturer which employs nearly 2000 people worldwide is looking to recruit a Head of Mechanical Engineering. The role as Head of Mechanical Engineering will see you being responsible for the Mechanical Engineering team working on Mechanical Design and Development. The ideal candidate for the Head of Mechanical Engineering role will have experience around management, Mechanical Engineering and hold a Degree.
• Leadership and supervision of all resources within Mechanical Engineering team i.e. Lead Engineers, Senior Engineers and Engineers.
• Management and allocation of Mechanical Engineering resources to support business needs, for both New Product Development (NPD) projects and Product Support / Continuous Improvement (CI) activities.
• Prepare, manage and track annual operating budgets for the mechanical development team
• Drive consistency in the technical approach adopted across all projects, to support NPD development and corporate business strategies.
• Drive implementation of new technology and innovation in product design / architecture to provide product differentiation, enabling company to achieve business growth through product excellence across all markets.
• Organise and chair Design / Peer Reviews ensuring the design is fit for purpose (good enough) against the stated requirements and incorporates best practice.
• Where appropriate prepare and present designs to other members of the mechanical team and project stakeholders at design reviews or project meetings. Alternatively support Engineers in preparation and presentation of designs and review material for peer / stakeholder review.
• Act as the go-to person for Project Managers and Senior Management/BE for project portfolio updates and overall discipline status
• Own the Departmental Mechanical Strategy and ensure a modular approach to mechanical development to ensure that architecture, design systems and methods are re-usable and transferrable across products
• Ensure that all mechanical design software tools used for NPD are fit for purpose that sufficient licences are available, and team members are suitably trained in their use.
• Adhere to agreed requirements set out by project management in terms of keeping to agreed timescales and milestones noted in projects plans and Gantt charts.
• Lead the strategy for mechanical technology platforms, partnerships and external relationships
Support Project Managers in recording and reporting design progress to stakeholders
• Experience of managing people would be highly advantageous
• Have experience of quickly and effectively producing mechanical designs to required specification, timescales and budgets
• Highly proficient in the use of a 3D CAD system (preferably Solidworks) for 3D part / assembly design and 2D detail component / assembly drawings
• Experienced in the design and use of concept models, rapid prototypes
• Familiar with: Electromechanical assemblies, plastic moulded part design, (Injection, compression, vacuum etc.), sheet metalwork, machined parts, production documentation (BoM`s), ERP systems (preferably SAP), engineering change control processes