Head of Operations
Recruiter: Jonathan Lee Recruitment
Salary: £65,000 - £70,000 + benefits
Application date: 30th Aug 2019
An experienced Head of Operations is required for an established SME Manufacturing business. As a manufacturer of both volume and bespoke products, an understanding of cell manufacturing based on Runners, Repeaters and Strangers will be required. The Board, having reviewed the present production system, are looking to introduce lean manufacturing methods and an operational strategy based on rapid response, right first time, no fault forward and short lead time manufacturing principles. The position requires an in-depth understanding of lean manufacturing and, more importantly, a track record that demonstrates an ability to lead, train, coach and work with people to create a sustainable continuous improvement culture that can deliver against exacting SQCD targets.
To be considered for this Head of Operations you must have or be:
• Experience working as a Manufacturing Manager, Operations Manager, Operations Director, General Manager or Continuous Improvement specialist within a fast-paced manufacturing environment.
• A thorough understanding of JIT, 5S, Kanban, and pull systems is required together with problem solving tools such as 8D, 5 Why, root cause analysis, A3 thinking or DMAIC.
• Experience of working within a fast paced, light engineering, medium volume, medium mix production environment that could include automotive, general engineering, packaging or FMCG.
• A strong engineering or manufacturing background ideally degree qualified with experience of using modern ERP/MRP and shop floor data capture systems.
• A real passion for continuous improvement, establishing standard operating procedures and simple but effective KPIs.
• An understanding of cell manufacturing and establishing production systems that can handle a product mix based on runners, repeaters and strangers.
• An ability to coach, train and educate employees in modern manufacturing techniques at all levels across the business.
• Dynamic, data driven, numerate with an excellent understanding of capacity planning and production scheduling.
• Excellent communication skills, verbal, written and presentation, able to create understanding and a desire to change in the people you work with at all levels.
This is a challenging, high-profile role and you will report directly into the owner and Managing Director. The role of Head of Operations will be a catalyst for change and require strong leadership, management and decision-making skills with a focus based on Safety, Quality, Cost and Delivery with the highest levels of customer service.