Recruiter: Hays Recruitment
Salary: £58,000 - £65,000 + car allowance, bonus, health & pension
Application date: 24th Dec 2021
Our client is a large industrial type manufacturer based in the outskirts of Glasgow and looking for the services of a Manufacturing Area Manager with a technical background. The successful candidate will have good relevant experience to the position (manufacturing, operations, technical (Mechanical) and have excellent team and people management experience). You will have 4/6 production supervisors and 60 indirect reports underneath your management.
• The Area Manager manages the day-to-day operations of the Glasgow manufacturing facility.
• Responsible for overall operations performance, the position holder implements production, cost and quality control procedures, oversees operations and manages operations staff.
• In addition, they play a key role in managing relationships with business, sales and engineering departments, contributing to the strategy, communication and development initiatives for facility.
• Responsible for the Health & Safety of all direct reports.
• Ensures that quality components are being produced by the manufacturing area.
• Responsible for the planning and implementation of work schedules to meet customer requirements.
• Sets and manages departmental goals and objectives based on cascaded overall company goals and objectives.
• Ensures Operations / Plant Manager is informed of all issues affecting the supply of components to customers, establishes a corrective action plan as needed.
• Establishes monthly production volume forecasts.
• Ensures weekly production, hour and departmental performance targets are achieved.
• Ensures all members of the manufacturing team are kept informed of their productivity performance against set performance targets.
• Identifies and, where appropriate, manages agreed continuous improvement actions within the manufacturing area.
• Ensures that all manufacturing disciplines, control plans, standards and performance objectives are adhered to by all personnel in the manufacturing area.
• Ensures all direct reports possess the necessary skills to meet the manufacturing targets.
• Establishes performance and development plans for direct staff reports.
• Ensures that all members of the manufacturing team are briefed on current topical business development issues.
• Arranges necessary recruitment and training of personnel to ensure the quantity and calibre of team members meet the requirements of the production plan.
• Manages people issues such as training, motivation, shift planning, holiday planning, absence etc.
• Ensures use of optimum manufacturing methods to achieve performance targets set
• All other duties as assigned
Required skill and education:
• Successfully completed Engineering degree in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering (or equivalent)
• At least 10 years’ experience in the manufacturing industry, ideally in the area of serial industrial production
• Theoretical knowledge and practical experience in several of the following tools/methods:
• FMEA – failure mode and effects analysis
• Improvement tools (e.g. VSM – value stream mapping, SMED – single minute exchange of die)
• Analysis and problem solving
• APQP – advanced quality product planning
• ISO 14001 – requirements for an environmental management system
• Proven practical experience in Industrial Engineering Management, Lean Management, quality assurance and continuous improvement
• Management experience, together with a proven track record of multi-disciplinary/cross-disciplinary teamwork
• Strong communication skills, combined with a motivated and self-starter attitude
• Very strong mastery of Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel
• Excellent written and spoken business English language competence