Recruiter: Hays Recruitment
Salary: £58,000 - £65,000 + bonus and benefits
Application date: 2nd Mar 2022
Our client is a large industrial manufacturer based in the outskirts of Glasgow and looking for the services of a Manufacturing Manager with a technical background. The successful candidate will have good relevant experience in either automotive or manufacturing components (manufacturing, operations, technical (Mechanical) and have excellent team and people management experience). You will have 4/6 production supervisors and 60 indirect reports underneath your management.
Job description summary:
• The Area Manager manages the day-to-day operations of the Glasgow manufacturing facility.
• Responsible for overall operations performance, the position holder implements production, cost and quality control procedures, oversees operations and manages operations staff.
• In addition, they play a key role in managing relationships with business, sales and engineering departments, contributing to the strategy, communication and development initiatives for facility.
• Responsible for the Health & Safety of all direct reports.
• Ensures that quality components are being produced by the manufacturing area.
• Responsible for the planning and implementation of work schedules to meet customer requirements.
• Sets and manages departmental goals and objectives based on cascaded overall company goals and objectives.
• Ensures Operations / Plant Manager is informed of all issues affecting the supply of components to customers, establishes a corrective action plan as needed.
• Establishes monthly production volume forecasts.
• Ensures weekly production, hour and departmental performance targets are achieved.
• Ensures all members of the manufacturing team are kept informed of their productivity performance against set performance targets.
• Identifies and, where appropriate, manages agreed continuous improvement actions within the manufacturing area.
• Ensures that all manufacturing disciplines, control plans, standards and performance objectives are adhered to by all personnel in the manufacturing area.
• Ensures all direct reports possess the necessary skills to meet the manufacturing targets.
• Establishes performance and development plans for direct staff reports.
• Ensures that all members of the manufacturing team are briefed on current topical business development issues.
• Arranges necessary recruitment and training of personnel to ensure the quantity and calibre of team members meet the requirements of the production plan.
• Manages people issues such as training, motivation, shift planning, holiday planning, absence etc.
• Ensures use of optimum manufacturing methods to achieve performance targets set
• All other duties as assigned
Required skill and education:
• Successfully completed Engineering degree in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering (or equivalent)
• At least 10 years’ experience in the manufacturing industry, ideally in the automotive or components area of serial industrial production
• Theoretical knowledge and practical experience in several of the following tools/methods:
o FMEA – failure mode and effects analysis
o Improvement tools (e.g. VSM – value stream mapping, SMED – single minute exchange of die)
o Analysis and problem solving
o APQP – advanced quality product planning
o ISO 14001 – requirements for an environmental management system
• Proven practical experience in Industrial Engineering Management, Lean Management, quality assurance and continuous improvement
• Management experience, together with a proven track record of multi-disciplinary/cross-disciplinary teamwork
• Strong communication skills, combined with a motivated and self-starter attitude
• Very strong mastery of Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel
• Excellent written and spoken business English language competence