Manufacturing Operations Manager
Recruiter: Hays Recruitment
Salary: £50,000 - £60,000 + bonus
Application date: 28th Oct 2022
My client is a large manufacturing business based in Fife who is looking for a Manufacturing Operations Manager to report directly into the MD of the site (circa 500 employees). You will be responsible for ensuring allot of the day to day operational management is taken on to give the MD time to set out and develop the strategic side of the business.
You will have 4 direct managerial reports but assist in the development of more junior management as well by coaching and leading them to help further their careers. Your main responsibility will be to oversee the M&E Engineering, continuous Improvement, quality, productivity and H&S elements of the business on a day to day basis – being responsible for the KPIs and effective outcomes on these key areas.
My client needs a senior manager who can challenge and develop their current team as well driving change into their current culture with a view on also challenging the MD themselves to get the best out of the most senior management on the site as there is a possible succession plan in a circa 5-year period offering a great opportunity to develop.
You must have very strong P&L – commercial experience as this is a must in this role and not an individual that ‘chases a single number’ but can manage multiple areas of the business, therefore a balanced thinker / operator. The successful candidate
Key Job Responsibilities
• Provide inspired leadership by consistently promoting a culture which encourages high performance standards, providing a dynamic working environment where employees are challenged, encouraged and supported.
• Be an ambassador for a safety-first culture ensuring that health & safety is effectively managed within the department, striving for zero accidents through continuous coaching and safety behaviours.
• Management and responsibility of all site operations relating to their products and services including Customer Operations, Engineering, Test, Stores & Despatch.
• Working with senior management, formulate and drive the Operations strategy for business processes to ensure the organisation delivers its overall business strategy.
• Utilising process improvement techniques and technology deliver a high quality, cost effective service to ensure compliance with contractual and customer demands.
• Capture and co-ordinate all continuous improvement projects and establish a robust reporting method for these projects.
• Control operating budget to ensure that the Operations Department is meeting financial targets.
• Provide leadership for key strategic operational initiatives and challenges which materialise in the day to day running of the business.
• Develop operational strategy to ensure highest possible inventory accuracy.
• Develop strong relationships with employees at all levels and gain their trust and respect in order to influence decision making and promote collaborative working.
• Oversee and ensure that the methods and procedures used within Operations comply with ISO 14001, ISO9001 and Company’s Quality Management System.
• Working with direct reports analyse customer escalation activity and fails to generate corrective actions to resolve and prevent future occurrences.
• Lead practice of ‘reduce, re-use and recycle’ wherever possible, ensuring that unavoidable waste is disposed of responsibility.
• Lead by example, demonstrating high standards both in performance and behaviours.
• Any other reasonable duties which may be required by management from time to time.
• Great leader of people with a focus on actively motivating and supporting a team to be the best.
• Demonstrable experiencing within a strategic management position, leading and inspiring a multi-discipline team to achieve operational goals and continual process improvements.
• Proven ability in leading a team (within a fast-paced environment) to deliver consistently high standards of quality in a customer focussed delivery environment.
• Strong academic background, ideally educated to degree level.
• Strong understanding of people management processes, absence monitoring, disciplinary proceedings, performance improvement plans.
• Lean Six Sigma Green Belt desirable.
• Experience in significant transformation programmes delivering sustainable business benefits.
• Familiarity with business and financial principles and practices.
• Working knowledge of budgets, forecasting and metrics.
• Sound IT Skills (databases, MS Office etc.).
• A good awareness of Health & Safety laws and regulations.
• Previous experience of working with Quality/Environmental management standards.
• Ability to think strategically, prioritise and plan effectively whilst balancing competing demands.
• Confident decision maker with strong problem-solving abilities.
• Team player with strong interpersonal skills.
• Methodical approach with ability to ‘think-on-feet’.
• Ability to work independently, make decisions and take appropriate actions.
• High levels of integrity and dependability.
• Strong sense of urgency and results orientated.
• Confidence and credibility to challenge and influence.
• Exceptional Communication and Presentation skills.
• Strong people leader, able to engage, motivate and positively influence, someone with real drive, energy and enthusiasm;
• A leader who understands the concept leaders having the same degree of focus their employees as they do the product.
• A strategic leader, who thinks proactively, takes a measures approach when making decisions (i.e. doesn’t solve one problem and create 3 or 4 more);
• A leader who lives and breathes the values, and understands to the importance of doing the job in the right way and maintaining reasonable standards.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced manager looking for their next move or an ambitious highly motivated middle manager looking to drive their career forward.