Recruiter: Jonathan Lee Recruitment
Location: West Midlands
Salary: £50,000 - £60,000 (doe) + company car & pension
Application date: 15th Sep 2017
An experienced Operations Manager is required for this established SME Manufacturing business. As a manufacturer of special purpose automation equipment to the automotive industry this company has experienced increased demand for its products. Following a recent acquisition the operation has invested in modern CNC equipment (machining and fabrication) and manufactures and assembles complex automation systems.
The Managing Director has reviewed the business strategy and believes the time is right to recruit a forward thinking and ambitious Operations Manager. In particular he is looking for experience that will deliver a lean manufacturing operation, based on rapid response, right first time and short lead time manufacturing principles. The role of Operations Manager will involve working with an existing production team and a loyal workforce that have been with the business since its inception. The position requires an understanding of bespoke special purpose equipment manufacture and a track record that demonstrates an ability to work with people to create a sustainable continuous improvement culture.
To be considered for this Operations Manager position you must have or be:
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience working as a Manufacturing Manager, Operations Manager or General Manager gained working within a bespoke special purpose equipment, automation, robotics, or machine tool manufacturing environment.
• A thorough understanding of modern manufacturing methods, with “hands on” experience gained on the shop floor of precision component manufacture through to complete assembly and test of advanced automation equipment.
• Experience of working within a low volume, high variety, precision engineering environment, with a clear understanding of getting products manufactured and delivered on time. Project management experience will be essential in this role.
• A clear commercial focus (cash flow management) and eye for detail that will ensure robust standards are in place to deliver accurate sales, contract, design and BOMs information that will enable effective production planning and scheduling.
• A strong engineering or manufacturing background, ideally degree qualified or apprentice trained, with experience of getting the best out of modern ERP/MRP systems.
• A real passion for Continuous Improvement, establishing standard operating procedures and simple but effective KPIs.
• An ability to coach, train and educate employees in modern manufacturing techniques at all levels across the business will be required.
• Dynamic, data driven, numerate and prepared to do what it takes to get the job done. The role will require an ability to manage customer expectations.
• Excellent communication skills – verbal, written and presentation. Able to create understanding and a desire to change in the people you work with at all levels
This is a challenging, high profile role and you will work with an established team to develop an advanced manufacturing facility capable of achieving exacting QCD standards while maintaining a safe working environment. There is a realistic opportunity based on success and growth to become the next Managing Director of this exciting business.