Recruiter: Jonathan Lee Recruitment
Location: West Midlands
Salary: Market related
Application date: 15th Jul 2021
We are currently recruiting for an experienced Operations Manager to work for our client at their facility in the West Midlands, the role will be responsible for leading and developing the site operation including, Production, Service and Calibration, Test Laboratory, Administration, Marketing, Sales and Customer Support.
Working within bespoke manufacturing and support services environment, with material testing and test machines, the role will also be involved in operating the site to ensure our customers’ receive the best quality service through a skilled team, ensuring all resources are utilised effectively and costs controlled within the agreed budget.
The role will work closely with the General Manager to ensure that operational capacity, planning and competency is aligned to the company’s business plan andstrategic direction.
• Ensure delivery of a consistently high standard of experience for our customers by building, maintaining and championing a culture of customer focus across the site.
• Ensuring all resources are utilised effectively and costs controlled within the site budget.
• To manage the activities of all functions ensuring that products/services comply with legal, regulatory and quality requirements and are compliant with our documented management system.
• To make a significant contribution to the growth of the business by providing leadership input to the executive decision-making process, supporting long term innovative business recommendations.
• Contribute to continuous improvement practices, working alongside wider group and participating in business wide projects where necessary.
• To make a significant contribution to the growth and success of the business by providing operational and client/customer knowledge to the strategic decision-making process
• To support with the production and implementation of an effective business plan for each area in line with strategic aims
• Work alongside the General Manager to agree financial budgets, lead and manage the teams to operate effectively and achieve the financial results against budgets & forecasts
• Hold and support on regular effective departmental/site team meetings
• Plan, implement, and evaluate the productivity performance of the site in relation to customer experience, process effectiveness, cost control, and resource utilisation; escalating any areas of concern to the General Manager
• Introduction, implementation and championing LEAN/continuous improvement practices to further enhance our efficiency and gain an advantage over our competitors
• Balance new product development initiatives/service delivery with cost to serve, remaining commercially focused at all times
• Plan and deliver the quarterly, monthly, weekly and daily targets for the site against agreed objectives, effectively managing the achievement of all site KPI’s taking appropriate corrective action as necessary
• Responsible for ensuring appropriate management reports, including Health and Safety/Fire Safety reports used to update the Executive/quarterly meetings are relevant and accurate
• Ensure all MI is trusted/clean data and then lead on the interrogation of all that is available, to identifying opportunities to improve performance and so, the new product development initiatives/service delivery we give our customers and clients
• Consider risk and opportunities associated with laboratory activities, identifying areas for improvement and implementing any necessary actions
• At all times, act confidentially and impartially in accordance with the laboratories documented management system
• Support Sales & Marketing activity which includes understanding new trends/ways of working, ensuring all tasks are undertaken in a timely manner – where appropriate and in line with agreed objectives, manage your own account management process
• Ensure companies sales strategies and the end to end sales activity is carried out and develops over time, protecting our brand/s; coaching your colleagues where appropriate
• Adopt safe working practices in line with current Company procedures and to undertake appropriate training in Health and Safety. Ensure business is compliant to data protection law and GDPR
• Ensure you and members of your team fully engage in the performance management/appraisal process and have a personal current up to date Development Plan in operation at all times so that appropriate learning and development activities are undertaken for the role
• Ensure that any decisions taken with regard to colleagues are made within the constraints of prevailing employment legislation
• Coach members of the team and cross functional working groups and responsible for succession planning within the company.
• Ideally a Degree in Engineering (Mechatronics, Electrical, Software, Mechanical)
• Good knowledge of main Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint, Outlook/Teams
• Good knowledge of Health & Safety at work regulations
Other Software Packages:
• Solid Works & Microsoft Project
Knowledge and skills:
• Understanding of a bespoke manufacturing and support services environment
• Knowledge of materials testing machines and understanding of servo hydraulics
• Ability to read electrical/electronic wiring schematics
• Operation of general workshop equipment
• Experience of working to International standards and Quality Management Systems
• Experience of working at customers sites
• Understanding of mechanical/electronics/microelectronic processes
• Use of 3D CAD and/ or rapid prototyping tools
• Electronic circuit prototyping and PCB development
• Experience of bespoke assembly operations
• Proven track record of leading and managing a large and complex team/operations