Recruiter: Jonathan Lee Recruitment
Location: Port Talbot
Application date: 1st Oct 2020
We are currently recruiting for a Plant Manager for a renewable facility in South Wales, the position will be overseeing all commercial and technical activities on the plant, and manage the day to day running activities of the facility, this would suit someone who has been previously working within renewable sector in particular biomass.
• The General Manager oversees the commercial and technical performance of the Energy Plant on behalf of its owners.
• In this role, the General Manager will ensure that key contracts such as the Fuel Supply Agreement, O&M Contract, Power Purchase Agreement and other offtake arrangements are correctly administered and will liaise with all contractual counter parties in that regard.
• A key element of this work will be the management of fuel deliveries to the site, which incorporates the management of a weighbridge team and on-site fuel analysis laboratory.
• The General Manager will also act on behalf of the owner in its relations with local stakeholders and regulatory bodies such as the Environment Agency and Ofgem (the plant earns income under the Renewables Obligation).
• As well as these day to day activities, the General Manager can be expected to engage with the EPC Contractor on matters arising from post-commissioning engineering works and to engage in the development of capital projects aimed at enhancing the projects environmental and economic credentials (e.g. options for district heating).
Tasks & Responsibilities:
• Reporting to the Operations Director, the General Manager will be responsible for managing the day to day operations of the Energy Plant.
• The General Manager will work with the Operations Director to establish the employer’s systems and processes which will be required to manage regulatory interfaces, O&M, fuel supply, power purchase agreement and ash disposal contracts during operation.
• Provide leadership in safety throughout the company’s business, supporting the O&M Contractor, Fuel Supplier and other site-based Contractors to establish industry leading safe systems of work and safety culture through commissioning and into operations and then to constantly improve on these through the operational phase of the project.
• Via the Contracts Manager, ensure that there is a highly effective system for receiving, checking, weighing and sampling of around 50 loads per day of wood chip using the employer’s fuel team.
• Working with the Operations Director, discharge of the employer’s accountabilities under the main plant contracts (including the O&M Contract, the Fuel Supply Agreements and the Ash Removal Contract), the Grid Connection Agreement and the Permits and co-ordinate the activities of the O&M Contractor, the Fuel Suppliers and MGEL’s other main Contractors.
• Encourage, monitor and support performance initiatives by the O&M Contractor and ensure its compliance with the O&M Contract and continuous improvement.
• Monitor and encourage the discharge of the engineering snags by the turnkey contractor that built Energy Plant.
• Establish and manage relationships with MGEL’s other key stakeholders including OfGEM, Natural Resources Wales, the DNO, Insurers and the local planning authority. Where relevant, support the O&M Contractor in establishing and managing their relationship with these same key stakeholders.
• Ensure that an on-site fuel testing laboratory (to be operated by the employer’s fuel team) works safely, accurately and to internationally recognised standards.
• Ensure high standards of record-keeping. Analyse performance and financial data so that this can be disseminated effectively to the plant owners in reports and at Board meetings.
• Support the EMSL Finance Manager as required in assessing the financial impacts of technical decisions and issues.
• Contribute as a member of the Eco2 Management Services Ltd team to drive business improvements across the business.
Experience & Qualifications:
• Experience of large scale process plant operation, ideally power generation.
• Experience of managing complex contracts with sophisticated counterparties.
• Track record of partnering with contractors to deliver a high performing, joined up organisation with shared vision and objectives and of driving business performance improvements through the activities of contractors
• Exceptional organisational skills with the ability to prioritise and multi-task in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
• Strong relationship management, interpersonal and networking skills, a proactive and co-operative way of working and well developed political antenna.
• Professional demeanour with the ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills in English
• Good team player with a desire to work in a diverse international team