Purchasing and Planning Manager
Recruiter: Jonathan Lee Recruitment
Salary: £45,000 - £70,000 + pension & benefits
Application date: 26th Aug 2022
We have been asked to assist in the recruitment of an exceptional purchasing and planning manager for this highly prestigious, low volume, high value manufacturer. The organisation is experiencing growth and has a range of new products and offerings which will take them into different avenues as a business.
This is a genuinely exciting and dynamic role, working with a highly creative and passionate team, who really want the new purchasing and supply manager to join them on this journey.
The Purchasing and Planning Manager will manage the efficient running of the purchasing function and inbound logistics. The role will be responsible for developing the purchasing plan and implementing purchasing activities for all incoming supply of products and services.
This position also includes working with the Commercial Director in the management of key suppliers to achieve performance targets in quality, cost and delivery performance. The Purchasing Manager will also be required to reduce costs year on year in line with company stretch targets.
• Manage inbound supply of products and services to deliver an order fulfilment On Time and In Full (OTIF)
• Maintain a balanced inventory against the manufacturing programme and in line with business strategy and forecasts
• Effectively manage the purchasing spend
• Develop and implement new processes to drive efficiencies in resource allocation and the inbound material flow
• Deliver cost savings on material purchases year on year
• Introduce a robust approved supplier programme (Approved Vendor List)
• Reduce waste within the supply chain through the creation and implementation of lean techniques
• Assist in the management of supplier relationships, particularly a core group of high-quality strategic suppliers
• Ensure orders are placed through the MRP system, delivery progress is continuously monitored, and inbound supply is delivered in line with KPI
• Introduce a supplier improvement programme through the implementation of a supplier assessment process.
• Adhere to existing company quality standards and procedures. Champion additional processes and procedures necessary to support and develop the supply chain function.
• Monitor and root cause shortages. Develop corrective and preventative action plans as appropriate
• Effective and efficient management of the MRP system
• Always ensure continuity of supply, managing supplier and product risk as appropriate
• Carry out external supplier audits and other relevant meetings as required
• Work with Commercial Director to negotiate and define commercial terms and conditions and implement supplier agreements as appropriate
• Introduce appropriate KPIs to effectively monitor and develop the supply chain function
• Ensure effective communications always exists with other departments.
• Experience in a purchasing role within a manufacturing supply chain environment, preferably with a focus on electronics
• Proven track record in the development and use of MRP including data extraction and analysis
• Skills in the use of Excel and/or Database programmes
• Experience in creating and maintaining KPI’s necessary to ensure the continuous improvement of the supply chain function
• Experience in creating and maintaining effective corrective and preventative action plans associated with supply chain challenges such as shortages, quality control and supplier risk management
• Experience in the use of appropriate material replenishment techniques such as Kanban, Min/Max, Safety stocks etc.
• Proven track record in delivering year on year cost reduction
• Knowledge of developing and implementing contractual agreements with suppliers and executing competitive tendering where appropriate
• Excellent written communication and interpersonal skills
• Able to use own initiative and work, where appropriate without direct supervision.
The ideal candidate will be operating at a managerial procurement and supply chain level, have a good understanding and working knowledge of tender and contract development, and have extensive experience of low volume, high value manufacturing and associated procurement.
We would also like to see evidence of continued professional development in the form of a CIPS qualification.
We also would like the following:
• HNC or higher in business related subject.
• Ability to embrace change, generating and stimulating new and innovative ideas
• Ability to work effectively with colleagues and all key stakeholders
• Ability to effectively manage time and priorities for self and others so that the supply chain achieves maximum productivity
• Self-motivated and enthusiastic.