Senior Design Engineer
Recruiter: Innova Search
Location: West Yorkshire
Application date: 3rd Aug 2018
Are you looking for a new challenge? Would you like to be a part of a company that is experiencing extensive international growth? David Brown Santasalo are a global engineering business supplying bespoke engineered products and engineered solutions to some of the largest manufacturing companies and defence contractors worldwide.
David Brown Santasalo are recruiting a wide range of engineering roles across the UK and Europe and as such are looking for engineers that have experience with rotating equipment, power transmission, drive units or industrial gearboxes.
With a UK based Head Office, David Brown Santasalo has been trading for over 120 years and has over 1000 staff members worldwide working across 25 global sites. There are seven manufacturing facilities, one situated on every continent. The company focuses on industrial gearboxes, power transmission, rotating equipment and drive units supplying every major sector. The company is going through sustained growth and offers an excellent career opportunity to help drive this organic growth across the world.
Acting under the direction of the Engineering Manager, this is a mechanical design role within the Engineering team focused on delivering gearbox design work on key projects and orders.
The role primarily focuses on the concept and detailed mechanical design of gearbox components and assemblies. Where necessary, this will also include the specification and design of other supporting systems and equipment such as couplings, instrumentation and lubrication packages. The role requires the individual to make design calculations and decisions to meet customer requirements, and to generate the necessary CAD models, drawings, bills of material and other technical data for both customers and internal production needs.
Liaison with other engineering team members and individuals in other David Brown UK functions is an integral part of the role. Dependent upon work flow and commitments, the role may involve secondment or assignment between the various David Brown UK engineering sub-teams (Defence, Industrial, Aftermarket).
You will be responsible for:
• Mechanical design of gear transmission components, including any required design calculations.
• Design and/or specification of all package requirements (e.g. bearings, instrumentation, lubrication systems).
• Production of material masters and bills of material for the entire order.
• Support to operations in the execution of the design requirements, including procurement activities, shop-floor manufacture and gearbox test.
• Production of detailed design component and assembly drawings for the entire order using 3D CAD tools, plus associated general arrangements, cross-sections, installation manuals and other drawings that may be required.
• Reviewing the documentation for each gearbox order (e.g. customer specifications and industry standards) and translating this into specific order requirements.
• Some working knowledge/experience of rotating equipment design e.g. shaft and bearing design, torque calculations.
• Some working knowledge of ancillaries such as couplings, instrumentation, lubrication systems.
• Some working knowledge of common manufacturing techniques e.g. machining and fabrication of components.
• Some working knowledge of common materials selection requirements
• Significant experience in 2D and 3D CAD.
• Degree level qualification in Mechanical Engineering, although HNC/HND plus a proven track record/experience in mechanical engineering will be considered in lieu of this.
Preferred, (but not essential) Requirements:
• Good understanding of gearbox technology; operating behaviour, associated components and systems, tradeoffs, materials, architectures and state of the art design.
• Engineering knowledge of, for example, gear rating techniques, shaft and coupling design, lubrication systems, test rig design, bolted joints/keys/fits, design for fabrication.
• Familiarity with using SAP to generate material master and bills of material.
Your new role at David Brown Santasalo will offer a range of opportunities for European travel along with a competitive salary and benefits package. If you fit the criteria and are interested in applying for this position then please follow the link below.