Recruiter: Jonathan Lee Recruitment
Salary: £85,000 - £95,000 + bonus & benefits
Application date: 5th Apr 2019
An experienced Technical Director is required for an SME business involved in the promotion of clean air and environmental concepts and systems that deliver low or zero emission transport systems. Working with a small but dedicated team of professionals you will continue to raise the environmental agenda for clean air and a low carbon economy. This will be a high-profile, challenging role and you will work closely with a broad stakeholder group that includes automotive OEMs, tier ones, government, local councils, academic institutions and industry bodies. As Technical Director you will work in an advisory capacity and represent the business at conferences and high-level meetings that will require an ability to present, educate, inform and influence a wide stakeholder base.
To be considered for this Technical Director position you must have:
• Experience ideally gained working within an automotive research, engineering or test environment as a technical specialist involved in the development of fuel-efficient energy products or systems. This could include engines, motors, battery development, EV’s, fuel, fuel cells and exhaust systems.
• Managed a technical department involved in vehicle specification and performance that incorporates, homologation, development, test, and certification.
• A thorough understanding of vehicle test and development procedures involving vehicle certification and type approval to meet fuel economy and EU emission legislative requirements.
• Significant automotive programme and project management experience working within an OEM, first tier or vehicle test environment.
• Ability to influence and build collaborative partnerships or joint ventures across a wide stakeholder group with the primary aim of delivering products and systems that will improve air quality through improved fuel economy and lower emissions.
• Qualifications to degree level or above in a relevant technical discipline which could include, mechanical, electrical, materials, chemical or environmental.
• Chartered engineer status and a member or fellow of a recognised industry body (IET, IMechE, IOM3, IChemE) with evidence of continued professional development.
• An accomplished people and project manager that can create collaboration and engagement both internally and externally with partner organisations and key stakeholders
• Excellent communication skills, verbal, written and presentation, with the ability to take on board complex technical issue but communicate these so they are understood at all levels.
This is an exciting and challenging senior Technical Director position that will require significant engineering expertise and knowledge gained with the automotive, truck and bus or wider transport sector. Travel will be required within the UK and this could involve occasional time away from home during the week. This is a highly influential role that will require a unique combination of skills and experience. However, it offers an exceptional opportunity to influence major policy-making decisions that will have a positive and lasting impact on society.