Technical Manager – Castings
Recruiter: Jonathan Lee Recruitment
Salary: Up to £48,000
Application date: 9th Jun 2019
This is an excellent opportunity for a Technical Manager – Castings to join a successful multi-national company who are going through an exciting period of growth. We are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced Technical Manager who is self-motivated, able to lead the technical department and play a major role within the Management Team. They will manage all activities of a technical nature, ensure conformance to all internal and external customers whilst adhering to the corporate vision, mission and values.
Frequent communication with Sales and Product Development personnel will be required, as well as inter-department personnel on resolving issues. You must provide motivation and development for all members of your team and ensure that operations are conducted in a safe, environmentally responsible, efficient manner.
Technical Manager responsibilities include:
Technical capability and Reporting
• Report on all major process or product non-conformance. Initiate non-conformance reports and implement investigations and corrective actions as necessary.
• Inspection department management
• Quality System management – Prepare new or update existing work instructions to ensure work practices are documented accurately and integrated into our quality system.
• Oversee the modelling & simulation analysis for routine production and new product development.
• Managing internal samples and trials, including supervising all foundry trials and informing department managers of any special instructions in a timely manner. Final analysis and report to include recommendations and actions, develop procedures and work instructions to compliment new changes.
• Preparation of technical reports including customer complaint investigations, project updates, technical developments and concession applications.
• Technical audits in the Foundry to ensure that process instructions are being adhered to by operations personnel.
• Provide metallurgical support through your team to the foundry and heat treatment functions at the facility.
• Provide support for estimating.
• Chair and manage quality focus groups. Generate actions, review and close out.
• Champion a weekly scrap and rework focus group involving the Foundry as well as the existing members of your team.
• Coordinate and oversee the methods and tooling design activities and manage the team against KPI targets.
Health and safety
• Continuously look for an opportunity to safely reduce costs in the various operations or through process reduction, but not in detriment to product quality.
• Maintain good employee industrial relations to promote productivity improvement, job satisfaction and a strong sense of teamwork.
• Oversee the development of Continuous Improvement in your areas of responsibility across the site.
The candidate will need to demonstrate:
• At least 5 years experience managing within a foundry / castings, metals or heavy engineering industry
• A qualification in metallurgy or materials science is desirable
• Strong communication skills and be customer focused
• Being self-motivated and flexible
• Be an excellent team player