Value Stream Manager
Recruiter: Jonathan Lee Recruitment
Salary: Excellent salary + benefits
Application date: 31st Jul 2023
We are working with a well-known and respected manufacturing and engineering group, that are extremely established in their market. They are part of a wider European business, who are firmly involved with the development and manufacturer of sustainable, green products that many of us use daily.
The business has gone through a major change over the last 3 years, to ensure the products they make, fit perfectly into a greener and sustainable environment. As part of this change, we have been asked to assist in the recruitment of an exceptional and influential Value Stream Manager. You will be part of the plant senior leadership team within the business and have a positive impact on where manufacturing performance sits within the wider organisation.
About the role:
The main purpose of the role is to meet the internal and external customer requirements of the Value Stream, ensuring the quality and delivery of all Value Stream processes within budgeted costs. Responsible for driving the human, financial and industrial Value Stream unit operations:
• To industrialise, manufacture and ensure product quality at the targeted cost to the business.
• To ensure the advancement of the Value Stream Unit according to the continuous improvement plan
• To ensure customer satisfaction (internal & external) in terms of quality, cost, and delivery.
• Ensure Health, Safety and Environmental compliance for the Value Stream unit.
• Ensure the appropriate focus is placed on behavioural safety.
• Identify, manage and eradicate risks concerning HSE.
• Ensure safe systems of work are in place for all activities and provide appropriate PPE.
• Ensure training of mandatory HSE topics has been undertaken by the whole team.
• Introduce opportunities to minimise the environmental impact of the manufacturing unit.
• Operate at all times in accordance with the Quality Management Systems
• Ensure processes and procedures are known, understood, monitored and controlled.
• Manufacture products consistent with the technical definition
• Ensure adequately trained employees to ensure compliance of products delivered.
• Manage preventive and corrective actions and verify their effectiveness.
• Develop and implement an improvement plan in order to reduce the level of non-quality.
• Develop the Value Stream budget (investments, production costs, indirect costs & consumables
• Manage the implementation of investment projects (NRC’s) and define their maintenance requirements (RC’s)
• Implement human resources and maintain capacity in line with S&OP capacity plans.
• Ensure flexibility of resource, by retaining the agreed ratio of temporary personnel
• Manage the inventory levels of raw materials, purchased parts and WIP.
• Ensure target productivity levels are achieved and continuously improved.
• Contribute to the early phases of development by providing expertise on all aspects including costs, manufacturability and controllability.
• Provide concurrent engineering to support new product and change introduction.
• Manage the product lifecycle in accordance with the specifications established.
• Manage the allocation of resources and resolve imbalances through the S&OP Process
• Ensure the delivery of product on time in full in line with the Master Production Schedule
• Ensure resources are aligned to production plans.
• Ensure regulatory compliance of assets and facilities in line with control procedures.
• Ensure the reliability of assets introducing a robust TPM process.
• Identify and manage risks by ensuring robust business continuity plans are in place.
• Implement standard visual pacing systems to drive adherence to the plan.
• Perform regular 5s Audits/ events to improve productivity and workplace organisation.
• Implement all Human Resources policies as defined.
• Manage the employee lifecycle e.g., recruitment, onboarding, development, departure.
• Identify and develop future skills requirements and organise the relevant training.
• Carry out annual performance and development reviews, set smart objectives.
• Ensure flexibility of resources by maintaining relevant skills & competency matrices
• Develop robust talent and succession plans and manage associated actions.
• Manage the union relations for the value stream unit.
Improvement & Innovation
• Develop and drive a robust continuous improvement plan for the value stream unit.
• Lead the value stream Gemba process to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Select and deploy lean tools to deliver improved performance.
• Seek employee ideas, involvement and participation in improvement activities.
• Continuously challenge, identify, and act on opportunities for improvements.
• Lead strategic projects focussed on step change improvements to the value stream.
• Participate in the orientation for the development of new technologies and develop new manufacturing and associated control technologies and techniques.
• Lead Value Stream governance meetings to ensure effective planning and execution.
• Mentor, coach, develop and provide leadership direction in line with Company values.
• Promote team working and a “One Team” ethos.
• Be proactive by ensuring effective communications to the Value Stream teams in support of cultural change inc. company and local briefs.
• Provide strong personal credibility and presence that inspires team members to achieve.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
• Communicate with stakeholders the impact change and potential effects on supply.
• Assure the application of regulatory provisions.
Data and Reporting:
• Measure and analyse value stream performance using the defined metrics and provide the required weekly/monthly reports.
• Analyse the root cause of metrics not at target level and develop the necessary action/recovery plans.
• Ensures the security and integrity of all master data.
• Additional Duties and Responsibilities
• Additional duties will include, but are not limited to the following:
• Operate as part of the wider senior leadership team.
• Represent the Site / Value stream with customers, suppliers or other external visitors.
• Participate in compliance audits supporting the maintenance of external accreditations.
• Contribute to the creation and implementation of a best practice manufacturing vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve operational performance.
• Contribute to new business initiatives and projects and review and communicate the impact on Manufacturing activities.
• Undertake continuous training and development.
Education and Experience
• Relevant manufacturing/engineering degree, HND, BTEC / Professional Level 5 Award or equivalent NVQ Level 5 qualification
• Prior experience in a generalist leadership role / manager of managers
• Understanding of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) and Lean tools/techniques
• Excellent communication skills
• Working knowledge of ISO 9001
• Empowering & motivating teams to achieve results.
• Demonstrated delivery of KPIs (OTIF, FTG, accident prevention, cost, etc)
• Strong leadership & organizational skills
• Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office
• Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems experience
• Previous experience/strong understanding of cost accounting with a strong understanding of financial accounting practices
• Green Belt or Black Belt in Lean Sigma
• CPIM or APICS Basics or working towards
• Working knowledge of SAP or (M3) systems